Quick and Easy Career Tips –
The HOT TIP OF THE DAY! www.craigslist.com is the number one place to POST your resume. Why? Because employers, hiring managers, and recruiters DON’T have to pay to find you. www.monster.com, www.careerbuilder.com, etc. are fee based. It’s ok that employers have to pay a fee but there are small and mid size companies that can’t afford it.
Also, people think it’s weird to post on craigslist but remember CEO’s to entry level professional candidates post on Craigslist and CEO’s, recruiters, executives, and hiring managers source resumes from there and love to do it. (go to the right hand corner at the bottom of the 1st page and click on the resume link and go from there)
1) It all starts with the Resume. It’s your first Interview advantage. If you want an $80,000 a year job then you need to have a $80,000 resume.
2) The candidate needs to be posted on Careerbuilder, Craigslist and Monster for sure. If you are technical you need to be on www.dice.com and if you are in Biotech you need to be on www.biospace.com, etc. Be targeted in your job search.
3) This is the hot tip of the year! Every three days you need to refresh your monster, careerbuilder, and craigslist posting on the job boards. For example with craigslist and careerbuilder you need to just go in and upload a new one. With monster you just need to change a word and save changes. This brings you up to the top of the pile and you will always be interviewing, at least 2-4 interviews a week over the telephone. Recruiters only look at the last two days of postings.
4) You have to POST your resume on Craigslist because it’s free to employers and 95% of the candidates out there don’t know that 40% of my clients that are getting hired are getting hired from craigslist.
5) It’s vital to work with staffing agency and headhunters etc. I wrote a Tips Booklet see www.dearjane.info. Most people think recruiters are used car salespeople but we aren’t. And people that have been employed for more than 5 years really need to work with recruiters.